Great way to help students learn to read!
Sight Word Tag Program
Do you know … 25 words make up about one third of all reading material. 100 words make up about one-half of all reading material. 300 words make up 65 percent of all printed text! Kindergarten - 2nd grade have started a Sight Word Tag Program. This is a homebased reading program that requires parent participation to assist your child in improving their reading fluency. How the program works:
- Students will receive a list of the most frequently used words in print. The initial list will depend on a student’s grade level.
- Students and parents will practice (at their own pace) reading the words at home.
- When students can read the words quickly and accurately, a parent will sign the bottom of the list.
- Students will then be assessed by trained testers.
- Only one set of words can be assessed a week. Students will receive a Literacy Tag if they can read the words quickly and accurately.
- Allowed Errors:
Kindergarten List (25 words) – no errors
First grade lists (PP-40 words) - 1 error, (P - 52 words) - 1 error, (1st - 41 words) - 1 error
Sets of 200 words used for all grades- 4 errors
- Any hesitation will be considered incorrect. Students should read it as quickly as if it was their name.
- When students pass their current list, they will receive the next list.
- With each list students pass they will earn another Literacy Tag
We are really excited about this program and know it is going to have a positive impact on all students’ reading.
Kindergarten - Orange Tag
1st Grade - Purple Tag 40
1st Grade - Purple Tag 92
1st Grade - Purple Tag 133
Red Tag 200
Blue Tag 400
Green Tag 600
Silver Tag 800
Gold Tag 1000